Friday, April 25, 2008

Parish Nursing - good christian links

Having said in the previous post that I would rather see eminent scientists guiding the NHS instead of Joan Saddler, what is the role of the church with the sick?

I attend a church that is pioneering Parish Nursing in the UK.

I was introduced to the chaplain of the hospice at the hospital treating Jan. She had a strong faith, and wanted to see the NHS more willing to cry "enough" and pass dying patients over to her hospice rather than the typical 8 hours before their death. Thinks, would government stats rate the hospice as poor, as many of their patients died within 8 hours of arriving, or good because of their low budget for food!

On a more serious and positive note I liked the American Elmbrook Church resources. I have used their audio archive of the Briscoe's teaching many times. Stuart Briscoe was a banker in England, so he and his wife Jill Briscoe have UK connections. I am humbled by the breadth and quality of their resources. They have a disability ministry, honestly, I am not against them! This church resource covers prayer and cancer so well that I printed it out for Jan. It is written by Dianne, a lady who has survived breast cancer for 8 years. She worked in the medical imaging department of a major hospital so mixes Christian faith with sound medicine and personal experience. She says:

"My eight plus years of prayer since cancer came have left me feeling insulated. Again, look up, not around. I daily look to God first. I thank him for each day, and ask him what his will is for me. Again he has answered, by getting me to reorder my priorities. I have started doing some new things (for instance this ministry), and stopped doing others. I also ask him how he wants me to do the things he has given me to do. For instance, what to teach my two sons. And we talk more about God and life and truth. I am affected far less by things "around" me. I look "up", and I have joy and peace I could not have imagined. Prayer is answered. I am so thankful."

No comments: