Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Tamoxifen, aspirin and or cabbage

Jan has no problems with Tamoxifen so far. We had looked up on Internet for the best time to take it, just before sleeping. One sleeps through any flushes etc!

I look for results and am horrified, The manufacturer claims a 31% reduction for recurrence of cancer and deaths. I had expected a modern drug that is the treatment of choice to at least halve recurrence and risk. Even the 31% must be an optimistic claim by the drug manufacturer, when we know Tamoxifen is a carcinogen, and causes other cancers whilst curing breast cancer. Do they claim a death from uterine cancer as a success in their 31% reduction in breast cancer deaths? I suspect they do, but need to do more research.

Independent tests give aspirin a 20% benefit, not much worse than Tamoxifen at a hundredth the cost and risk. I have seen cabbage rated at 70% and reckon a full Polish diet and lifestyle could give us 300% with none of the associated risks. I read a telegraph article about Sheryl Crow who has survived breast cancer, she is also now a convert to exercise and organic veggies.

Yet though I keep buying and lightly steaming cruciferous veggies (cabbage and the like) Jan wants little to do with them, and places complete trust in doctors recommended foil wrapped tablets. She has tried a little pickled red cabbage and sauerkraut, and bought a Polish recipe book though! But she returned yesterday with three red meat joints of beef and pork...I want to throw the beef away, as I read a diet of overcooked beef can increase breast cancer risk by 400%. Maybe Jan feels let down by the health food industry, after all she has taken red berries and red clover for years. yet she still got cancer. But I wonder whether the berry and clover diet had given her years of protection.

So do I go along with her trust in Tamoxifen to keep her confidence in her treatment which must be part of the cure? On reflection maybe the answer is easy, use Tamoxifen and cabbage, and pray that Jan will escape the nasties of Tamoxifen. We need to trust God to over-rule whatever drug, diet or treatment she takes. I will do further research on Tamoxifen.

No comments: