Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Power of positive thinking

I said we would switch off telly more, but watched 2 interesting programs last night.

First on how to live to be 101 years old. Seems diet, genetics and faith all play a part. Interesting testimonies from Adventist church in USA.

The other was "The secret of life" which looked at self help courses, or the "Power of Positive thinking". Interviewed Anthony Robbins, probably the best known of those charlatans. I only link to his site to enhance my own results in Google searches. I disagree with Anthony, though my son and nephew say his books are most helpful. His site is here: http://www.tonyrobbins.com/Home/Home.aspx

Another woman interviewed based her life on the mantra of saying to herself "Whatever happens, I can cope." Buddhists were also interviewed who had similar mantras.

So what is Jan's answer? She and her friend who recently completed chemo both describe the cancer as a "valley" to walk through, and that Jesus is at their side bearing them up. It may look similar to the self help guru's strategy, but as Jesus is real and answers prayer it is completely different. Jan is saying "I cannot do this alone, help me Jesus" and resting in that certain help, whereas the self helpers say "I can handle this if I dig deep inside or whatever, and have no need for Jesus". Will they still say that at the judgement seat of Christ?

Pslam 23 verse 4 says

though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

No comments: